Learn About the Justice40 Accelerator
Given frontline-communities create the most effective climate solutions, it’s no surprise that the Biden-Harris Administration’s executive order to direct 40% of the benefits of federal climate action to disadvantaged communities was inspired by frontline communities of color and environmental justice leaders from across the country.
The Justice40 Accelerator will serve frontline communities applying for federal funds across multiple agencies, flowing from the administration’s executive order.
The Justice40 Accelerator’s offerings will include:
- Informational briefings and resources to learn about federal grants and eligibility
- Philanthropic capacity building grants for dozens of eligible organizations
- Project pre-development workshops
- Partnership opportunities
- Technical expertise to support successful applications for federal funding including accounting, legal, and government grant writing
The Justice40 Accelerator is a partnership between The Solutions Project, Elevate, Groundswell, Partnership for Southern Equity and Hummingbird Firm.
During the last great economic recovery effort — 2009’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) — most of the money went to organizations, businesses, and state government agencies that already routinely won federal funding.
- These “usual suspects” knew how to ramp up quickly and had contacts and resources
- Community-based groups didn’t have the resources or relationships to compete, especially given the accelerated timeline
This time around, innovative front-line community climate projects are better positioned to pursue and win federal funding — and we know from our grantee partners that philanthropic and technical support for their success now is key.